Online computing environment
Intro to CoCalc by Mark Quinn (University of Sheffield)
CoCalc is a sophisticated online workspace
Beyond that, CoCalc is made for teaching a class online! Avoid the hassle of installing software on every student's machine and help your students more precisely by collaborating on their notebooks.
Getting started does not require any software setup. Sign up and create a project to instantiate your own private workspace. Then create a notebook/worksheet or upload your own files – CoCalc takes care of everything else!
- Available software environments: Python, R Statistics, Julia, ...
- Mathematical calculation: SageMath, GAP, SymPy, Maxima, …
- Statistics and Data Science: R Project, Pandas, Statsmodels, Scikit-Learn, TensorFlow, NLTK, …
- Document authoring: LaTeX, Markdown/HTML, RMarkdown, ...
- General purpose computing: Python, Octave, Julia, Scala, …
- Share your files privately with project collaborators — all files are synchronized in real-time.
- Exchange thoughts and ideas via chat rooms or side-chat.
- Time-travel is a detailed history of all your edits and everything is backed up in consistent snapshots.
- Finally, select any document to publish it online.
CoCalc talk by William Stein (Harvard, 2018)
- Background and history of CoCalc
- Demonstration of functionality
- Architectural overview, underlying tech stack, ...
- Synchronization of documents, the backbone of collaboration
- Collaboration and chat
- Culture, open-source, academic and commercial usage