An entire computer lab in the cloud
- Every student works 100% online – inside their own, isolated workspace.
- Follow the progress of each student in real-time
- At any time you can jump into a file of a student, right where they are working.
- Use TimeTravel to see each step a student took to get to the solution.
- Integrated chat rooms allows you to guide students directly where they work or discuss collected files with your teaching assistants.
- The project's Activity Log records exactly when and by whom a file was accessed.
No software setup 100% online
Common underlying software environment:
- Forget any complicated software setup – everyone is able to start working in seconds!
- Since everyone works with exactly the same software stack, any inconsistencies between your and your students' environments are eliminated.
More about CoCalc's Software Environment
CoCalc's own Jupyter Notebook implementation offers real-time synchronization, time-travel, automatic grading, side-chat, and more.
I just found out that my CoCalc class got by far the best course evaluations for any course I've taught at UCSD to date (over 85% on the favorable/unfavorable scale), which makes it a sure thing that I'll be teaching this course again (in some form) next year! Many thanks for the backend work on CoCalc, for the course materials, for the guest lecture...
CoCalc provides a user-friendly interface. Students don't need to install any software at all. They just open up a web browser and go to https://cocalc.com and that's it. They just type code directly in, hit shift+enter and it runs, and they can see if it works. It provides immediate feedback. The course management features work really well.