Online Linux Terminal
CoCalc offers a full, collaborative, real-time synchronized Linux Terminal in your browser.
Features and benefits
- You no longer have to install and maintain any software. In particular when you're teaching a class, students just have to sign in to CoCalc to get started!
- It is possible to collaboratively use the same terminal in real-time.
- You can also edit shell script files and run the script.
- Automatic backup keeps your files safe!
- You can copy/paste between your local desktop and the online terminal.
Take a look at our terminal documentation to learn more about it!
Comprehensive software stack
Look at our list of executables to check what is available!
The CoCalc terminal is ideal for teaching/learning Linux, because in case you make a mistake it has your back!
Everything runs remotely on CoCalc's servers! This means you do not have to worry about messing up your own computer, deal with setup and installation issues by yourself, or fear of losing or corrupting your own files when you make a mistake.
Snapshots are consistent read-only views of all your files in a CoCalc project. Restore your file(s) by copying back the one(s) that were lost or got corrupted.
Therefore, this is ideal to learn basic shell commands or more about Linux online.